Brands with purpose use their unique position, expertise and capabilities to deliver on something that matters to individuals, society or the world.
The methodology: What we did
While it is important to have the right purpose in place, it’s just as important to put
it into action. To understand who is doing this best, we assessed publicly available information across 27 global criteria, from September - December 2017.
We assessed over 180 brands from the PwC 100 and the FTSE Eurofirst 100.
Our assessment criteria seek to understand the following:
- How many companies have a purpose statement?
- Which companies actively state they are here to provide wider value – beyond making a profit?
- How many companies act on their purpose statement?
- Which companies claim to have made purpose intrinsic to their business, incorporating it into their people’s everyday work, and measuring the outcomes of their activities?
The criteria: What we assess
Purpose and story
A great purpose and story is authentic, visionary and inspirational. It gives the brand focus and direction.
- Whether the purpose clearly addresses a human or world need.
- How purpose is used within the brand story.
- Whether the purpose is authentic and visionary.
Using communication channels to engage your audience builds momentum and creates a movement – inspiring everyone to get involved and play their part.
- Whether purpose is clear within brand campaigns.
- How prominent purpose is across the digital experience.
- The extent to which purpose is apparent in company reports.
Purpose needs to run deeper than just communications. It should be at the heart of the business, setting ambitions and monitoring progress.
- How deeply purpose is integrated into the business model and business strategy.
- Whether there are clear targets and performance indicators connected to the purpose.
- The extent to which purpose is ingrained within the brand’s approach to sustainability.
In a purposeful company, employees are engaged and keenly contribute to the achievement of purpose-related goals.
- Whether leadership champions purpose.
- How purpose is integrated into the employee experience.
- Whether the brand has purpose-related partnerships.